built-in-art

Hardwick Hall Chimneypiece

Hardwick Hall Chimneypiece

Hardwick Hall is one of the earliest examples of the English interpretation of the Renaissance style of architecture. Hardwick Hall was built by the Countess of Shrewsbury, known as Bess of Hardwick (1521 - 1607.)
The arms of the builder, Bess of Hardwick, Countess of Shrewsbury, appear in a lozenge, crowned w ith a coronet and supported by two rampant greyhounds. Curiously enough, in spite of the shield being enbigned with the Countess coronet, the bearings are her paternal arms, which piece of heraldic incongruity is quite characteristic of that vigorous dame.

Share
comments powered by Disqus