This door was originally located at the entrance to the castle Nuovo in Naples, Italy. The door was commissioned to Guglielmo Monaco by Ferrante dâ€™Aragona circa 1475 to celebrate the Ferranteâ€™s victory over Giovanni of Anjou in 1462. The six bas-reliefs on the door, framed by decorations with Renaissance motifs, describe the most important episodes of the war:
There is an iron cannon-ball embedded in the ripped plate in the bottom left hand panel.
The most likely explanation of this is that the door was part of the spoils which Charles VIII had loaded onto the ships saiÂling for France. During the voyage, just off the shore of Rapallo, the fleet was attacked and conquered by the Genoese. In the course of the battle the door, which was perhaps on the deck of one of the ships, was hit by a cannon-ball which remained stucked in the panel. Having won the prize, the Genoese sent the door back to Naples (1495).